Monday, February 2, 2009

Life after Lyme's disease

I have said often times, that I am in no way an authority on any of the subjects I write. I tend not to be one on this. But I know a little about the disease because I have lived through it. Lyme's disease is a disease that is hard to detect until the latter stages of the disease. I had been pretty healthy most all my life, other than a cold now and then, or just having the flu so bad at times I couldn't raise my head . It wasn't until I moved to Oklahoma that I found out what Man vs Tick meant. I had some run ins with dog ticks but nothing like this. Sure for some time I have had bouts with Depression, but nothing prepared me for Lyme's disease.
The symptoms I guess is what throws you at first. There are a variety in the symptoms that will range in severity throughout it's duration, and will cause abnormalities that will not only effect your Heart, but also your Nervous system, and Brain.
Lyme's disease may progress in stages from mild symptoms to serious long-term disabilities if left untreated. Being tired, skin rashes in several places on your body that develop as the infection spreads. In addition to that, You will have pain, weakness, or numbness in the arms or legs as a part of it, but it doesn't stop there. Inability to control the muscles of the face, recurring headaches or fainting, wow those are tough, believe me. Poor memory and reduced ability to concentrate is another, and to this day I still have bouts with it. You can also have damage to deep tissue in the eyes. I can't say that it has affected my eyes any, they were bad when it happened, but it's still one of the concerns that goes along with Lyme's disease.
Lyme's disease is rather hard to detect, especially with the flu like symptoms, headaches, fever, dizziness, muscle, and joint pain. Before I was ever diagnosed, my physician tried everything there was to diagnose my illness, but with the symptoms the way they were it was hard to detect. He even sent me to Oklahoma City to the OU medical center where they did a spinal tap, thinking it was meningitus, and a spinal tap is nothing I wanna go through again.
Yes, there is life after Lyme's disease, just not the way you had known. It is one tough disease,
and early detection isn't always possible for up to two weeks or more. That was why it was so hard for my doctor to determine. But wait there is so much about the disease, I don't want to leave any out if possible. You will have Neurologic changes and recurring problems with memory, mood, or sleep and sometimes problems speaking.
And you will know if you have any of the symptoms, it's like you'll be sitting at a red light, and it turns green and you'll have to wait for the brain to respond what next to do. Or begin to have mood swings, and lose sleep, like I said there are too many symptoms to Lyme's disease, it may take time to diagnose. If caught at an early stage which would be best, but doesn't happen often.

Lyme's disease came to be named Lyme's after a mother and her children came down with the disease in Lyme's Connecticut. There are treatments if caught early. Oral antibiotics are the standard treatment for early-stage Lyme disease. These usually include doxycycline for adults and children older than 8, or amoxicillin for older adults, younger children and pregnant or breast-feeding women. These drugs often clear the infection and prevent complications. A 14- to 21 day course of antibiotics is usually recommended, but some studies suggest that courses lasting 10 to 14 days are equally effective. In some cases, longer treatment has been linked to serious complications. But if the disease has gone on for more than two month another method may have to take place. If the disease has progressed, your doctor may recommend treatment with an intravenous antibiotic for 14 to 28 days. This is effective in eliminating infection, although it may take some time to recover symptomatically. But, as it is with a lot of other treatments and drugs, using this method, Intravenous antibiotics can cause various side effects, including a lower white blood cell count, gallstones and mild to severe diarrhea.
Yes, there is is life after Lyme's disease, and I guess but am not for sure, but knowing that different people have different healing abilities and not everyone is the same. I have had the disease and know it's not an easy one to go through, I have talked to people who as myself had contacted the disease, and if it gets to the latter stages, then it will be a longggggg healing process. Just because they found what your illness was and treatment has started, and taking the antibiotics stopped, remember that's just the start to recovery and the healing process.
You will have slightly lesser headaches, but there is still possibilities of damage to the heart, the heart and brain are the two most important parts of your body. Let us not forget that the heart is what pumps the blood to the vital parts of the body, and if it is even slightly damaged we can be in big trouble. The brain controls our movement and bodily functions, our sense of smell, taste, hearing and seeing, without these we are nothing. One has to remember that there will be chronic athritis, joint pain, memory loss and severe loss of strength and so on as listed in this article.
But most importantly of all remember there is Life after Lyme's disease. Now if there is someone out there that has any more knowledge of this disease, FEEL free to comment because I don't know it all and I welcome feedback.

Thank You jesseb's anything goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment